![]() |
| Woody Harrelson and Christopher Walken in Seven Psychopaths (2012) |
The narrarator works on "a list of things I have grown to hate about doctors' offices" (98).
Do you think it might be therapeutic to create such a list about a place you hate? Or would the process encourage you to focus on the negative and thereby amplify it?
Try creating a list of things you hate about a particular place. Be as concrete as possible. Don't share the list here, but when you finish, characterize the experience.
Did it affect your mood in a positive or negative way?

I believe that there is a therapeuticness to creating a list of things you hate about a place due to how it allows you to focus on one thing and reflect on your thoughts. I fully believe that it depends on how you view that place in your normal day to day whether or not it encourages you to focus only on the negative at that location. If you always complain about a certain place then make a list of all that you hate about the place stripping the goods of it, then it could increase the negativity. I will be leaving my job due to college, leaving a job that I deeply enjoy and am happy I was given the opportunity to work here. When I made a list of things I hated about it, yes, things did come to mind, but due to the overwhelming good qualities about it, it did not affect my overall opinion of my job.
ReplyDelete