Sunday, July 19, 2026

6. Communal dating

Scene from "A Good Girl's Guide to Murder" (TV series; 2024-present)

According to the narrator, "when you first start dating someone, early communication is communal . . . When you're texting a woman, it's incredibly probable that you're talking not just ot her but to one or two of her closest friends as well" (6).

Do you think this is true?

Are women in general more likely to talk about sensitive details of their emotional and even physical experiences than men are? 

To what extent is this a good thing? How might it be seen as a negative?

7 comments:

  1. I do believe that women are more likely to talk to each other about sensitive details of their personal lives to each other than men are. Some say this could be seen as negative because women could end up sharing too much not only about themselves, but about their partner, for example showing a friend intimate text messages between them and their partner. Some people also say, especially men, that women get into more arguments with their friends because they share too much. However, I believe that the culture women have built around sharing feelings, thoughts, and details about their life is what makes women friendships incredibly powerful and fulfilling. To men, women’s friendships are going to seem emotional and dramatic because men’s friendships generally do not have the same depth women’s friendships do. - Nina Benton

    ReplyDelete
  2. While men will often ask for advice or brag, they do not usually scrutinize potential partners like their friends due simply due to a smaller list of priorities generally in dating and less danger for men broadly speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally feel that the idea that women will share everything with their friends is more of something you'd see in movies rather than real life. Sure, there will definitely be examples of that in real life, but I feel like, at least with adults, it's usually between you and the other person.

    Women will talk about anything with their friends, especially if they're good friends! I know I would, but definitely some things are best kept to oneself, especially if it is something very strenuous and or something that was asked to be kept secret. While it's not a bad thing, it can be turned into one if information is put into the wrong hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the early stages of a relationship, I believe that communication between a potential partner is more communal especially for women. Though I believe that need to share with others is coming more so from a place of self preservation rather than a place of gossip.

    In the throes of young love we are often blinded by our naive perception of our partners (believing that our partners could never do any wrong). Women, I feel, have evolved to sharing communications about a partner as a sort of “second opinion.” This can prove to be beneficial because outside people can pick the bad out a lot better than those in the relationship. However, I believe also this could become a negative habit if one never communicate issues with their partner that come to light in one’s “girl talks.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel that the idea of women sharing everything about a new partner with their friends is more likely than a man doing it. Gender socialization still has an affect on people especially in those younger ages when you're with your first partner. This is most likely why to me that women are more likely to share their emotions and talk to their friends about what goes on with them and their partner. While traditionally, it is seen as weak to share your emotions as a man which might include what goes on in your relationship.

    It is always a good thing to share your emotions with other people and talk about your partner. Sometimes you need that second opinion or help to make you feel rational about your feelings. however, it starts to become negative when people begin to share personal things about their partner to friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do believe women are more likely to exchange sensitive details of their emotional and even physical experiences than men are. Most women are known to do this as a way to express how well their relationship is going or the opposite. Some women use it to ask for advice on how to react in certain situations or ask if they were right about how certain texts may sound. I believe that women do not mean to do this negatively, but it can be seen as such if they are always talking with the intent to criticize or talk down to their partner.

    ReplyDelete