On page 7, the narrator makes the first of several references to a famous work by the renowned philosopher, Plato, namely, his “Allegory of the Cave.”
Are you familiar with Plato’s allegory? If not, check out the TED Ed Youtube video above.
Or click here to learn more.
The narrator asserts (in agreement with Plato) that the allegory shows that humans have a stubborn tendency to resist seeing “what’s lurking right behind us” (7).
What kind of things do you think people stubbornly avoid looking at? And why do they avoid them?
I am familiar with the Cave allegory, though I don't really like the ideals Plato had behind it. The idea that only people born with the ability to face the truth can comprehend it completely contradicts any effort to educate people on reality. Plato and the narrator are right about people ignoring things for the sake of their own mind though. I think most things that are ignored are those that can upset people or force them to change their lives; I have known many people in relationships that aren't good for them, but continue to stay in it because they don't want to "rock the boat". On the other side, there are people who insist the boat is not being rocked and it's just the waves, which are natural and a part of sailing, so they refuse to tie anything down or even look into the water. I am referencing global warming. I think it's easier for people to stay quiet in almost every situation, but that the right things can create the need for action or words.
ReplyDeleteI was unfamiliar with Plato’s “Allegory of the Cave” until now but I enjoyed learning about it. I believe that that everyone is stuck in the cave in one way or another. They are ignoring things, some without realizing it, that would make them uncomfortable should they be acknowledged. These things can range from relationship issues to personal sins, but everyone has something in their life that they have yet to acknowledge and begin to fix.
ReplyDeletePeople evolved a sense for both investigation and avoidance of unnecessary danger, so often which one we are either socialized into or born oriented towards determine whether or not we are comfortable seeking out and analyzing the problems within us.
ReplyDeleteI actually covered the Allegory of the Cave in my English Composition 2 class! We were using it as the main premise while we talked about things in real life that people may avoid over the internet, as we all make our own little spaces, or, our own caves.
ReplyDeleteI do think people stubbornly avoid harsh reality, I know I do. It's easier to avoid looking at what awful things may be happening in the world and focus on our own reality.
I am familiar with this allegory (I used to teach in the History & Systems of Psychology course!) - I think we stubbornly avoid looking at ourselves from the perspective of someone else. I think we often review our own behaviors but from the perspective of being the star of our own movie - sometimes I find it can be very difficult to view the world as if I am just a supporting character in someone else's movie. It is a very beneficial exercise - it helps you give other people the benefit of the doubt and realize that they are probably doing the best they can with what they have. It honestly is how I approach most of my advising and teaching - if I think of myself as the 2 minute character in a movie that helps facilitate the 'hero" and their transition to the next scene it makes those interactions have more context. Do I want to be the character who helps the hero achieve their success or do I want to be the character who is a roadblock to their success. The journey is up to them but I try to be a facilitator rather than a roadblock - what they do with what I give is up to them.
ReplyDeleteI was not familiar with Plato's allegory until just now, but I do, in a way, understand its meaning. Basically, it claims that even when shown the truth, many people try to stick with what they find more familiar. I think the kind of things most people avoid looking at or for are ideas about our reality. Many would rather live in the fantasy they have created than properly do research to see the truth. This goes along with many things such as politics, world problems, and discrimination. People avoid such topics because it is easier to dismiss something if you have never seen or experienced it yourself than try and understand for the sake of others.
ReplyDelete