Here they are:
Was there any element of this story or aspect of craft that you want to try in your own writing?
Has this book made you think differently about anything in your areas of study? Something about writing craft or philosophy or gender studies or a film you saw recently—anything!
Has this book made you think differently about anything in your areas of study? Something about writing craft or philosophy or gender studies or a film you saw recently—anything!
i cant say that any element of this style of writing really spoke to me enough for me to want to use it, However i don't often write so most styles aren't really interesting to me. this book has made me research more philosophy and including it in my studies for numerous ways.
ReplyDeleteOne aspect of the story that I would like to include in my own writing is how the narrator uses personal experiences to talk about serious topics while still being able to keep the story engaging and relatable. I liked how the narrator could share difficult experiences without making the novel overly serious. I found myself being able to relate some of what the narrator mentioned about breast cancer to some of the things I have recently learned in my biology classes. Being able to make this connection in this novel to my field of study struck my interest. Listening to the narrator's story involving her journey with breast cancer gave me another perspective of hearing someone actually afflicted by such a disease and not just learning about it from a textbook. It made me realize what some individuals affected by such diseases may experience emotionally and provided me with an opportunity to understand the personal side of a disease that I learned from a scientific perspective.
ReplyDeleteI felt that the humor made it easier for me to connect with the book. I often found myself chuckling at different points, which made the story feel more personal and relatable. It is something I would like to incorporate into my own writing because humor can make difficult or serious topics more engaging for the reader.
ReplyDeleteThis book has also made me think differently about family and the importance of honesty. It showed me how being honest can help people grow, both individually and within their relationships. I think honesty is important when raising children because it can help them develop a better understanding of both themselves and the environment around them.
-crissi tubbesing
DeleteOne element that stuck out to me was the emotion behind some of the best scenes in the book. The scene that brought me to tears was when the main character was thinking about her children on Mothers Day, and her memories with them. The way the words on that page exuded feeling is something I strive for in my own writing.
ReplyDeleteI really loved the use of sporadic breaks instead of traditional chapters. I write like that most of the time already, but it was really cool to see in a published book! It helps to jump between different sections without needing a proper segue. It's also realistic for the narrator's thoughts to jump around, but I think Kaeli Wilson articulated that part better in her answer to 194b.
ReplyDeleteIt's unrelated to the question, but I also wanted to say that I really liked the book!
I personally enjoyed the structure the book was set up in. The conversational tones made me feel like I was a friend the narrator was sharing this crazy emotional rollercoaster of a story with. I don’t believe this writing has made me think any differently of my study, however it has amplified my desire to write short biographical-type stories.
ReplyDeleteFrom a philosophical perspective, I believe this book really explores the concepts of love and how far it extends even when someone has hurt you in what I believe to be the worst way possible, and how one overcomes that hurt in their own unique and realistically ugly way.
I really want to try the writing style. It seemed so freestyle, or like a diary, but it was still chronological and yet still mentioned memories of the narrator's children, ex-husband, her time in college, and other things alike that give the reader some context, almost as if they were there or being told by a friend or a relative.
ReplyDeleteI've always wanted to write, especially if Graphic Design doesn't open the door for me career wise... And it's refreshing to see new, unique ways of creation in writing, art, and more! I hope I can apply something new and unique into what I hope to create to inspire another creator like myself... There's no right or wrong way! (Unless it's grammatically wrong, then maybe it's wrong.)
Within the diary-like writing (but even more intimate, I think, as the novel feels like I am getting glimpses into someone's mind as they take a breather in the day), I feel like there are times when the thought 'ascends' in a way. Like on page 61 of my kindle version, the small chapter begins with 'There are so many people that come with sickness', and then moving to the topic of her mother, and then it moves into metaphor, with "It was like having a mountain range inside of you, with no way of getting it out..."
ReplyDeleteIt is this moving from the observational thought to the metaphorical one, the one that brings 'beauty' to my lips, that I enjoyed very much. These were my favorite parts of the novel.
I would like to try to create a narrator or character that the readers can feel a personal connection to without dropping every single detail about the narrator or character. Yee does this so well. It made me forget that we never learn the narrator's name or where in the world she lives.
ReplyDeleteSimilarly to what Lilliana said, I enjoyed the exploration of love. It was refreshing to read about a divorce that was not as dramatic as others. The narrator does not really do anything malicious. She genuinely loved her husband.