Monday, July 17, 2023

Chapter 11: "The Moving Shelves"

"Regrets" (1981) by Morteza Katouzian

Why do you think Nora looks at the book she does first? Do you think you would be inclined to make the same choice if you were in the same position? What advice would you give to someone who is inclined to make such a choice?

11 comments:

  1. If you look back at Nora's suicide note, the entire first passage is dedicated to how she ruined her own life. Nora is obsessed with the idea that every choice she made was a mistake. If someone were to want to start with the book of regrets like Nora, I would say do it. If you see all the things you regret laid out before you, you can start to single some of the regrets out and work through them, and maybe eliminate them.
    -Byron

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Nora looks at the book of regrets first because she is stuck on the idea that each of her regrets add up to a negative life. Perhaps she wants her point of view to be affirmed by looking at each of her regrets to see if they coincide with her mistakes.
    -Denna Bussinger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were in the same situation as Nora, I would probably look in the same place. I can imagine feeling so down and wanting to justify why. If I could give advice to someone making the same choice, I would tell them that seeing their regrets laid out in front of them might lead to a dangerous spiral of negativity.
      -Denna Bussinger

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Denna. Her mind was constantly fixated on the fact that she believed that her life choices were all wrong. When looking at her book of regrets, she was probably able to realize how much she really did regret about her life. If I were given the choice though, I don't think I would be able to look. If everything I thought was wrong about my life was in front of me I would have a breakdown, much like she did. I would also advise others that it would be really dangerous to look at something so complex.

      Delete
  3. Nora is enticed by the Book of Regrets. At this moment in time all she can think about are her past regrets, and so to see a whole book dedicated to it she can’t help but peek inside. I have no doubt in my mind I would want to look too. I can’t help but be curious about what I regret. Especially if knowing my regrets is what can help me choose a better life. The only thing I can say though is to be careful looking into the book. Regrets, big or small, can be overwhelming, so take it a page or two at a time.
    -Elliot Riden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your advice on reading "The Book or Regrets" a page or two at a time. Reading stuff like can be overwhelming and can be scary, and there's a lot of people that wouldn't want to read their own "Book of Regrets".

      Delete
  4. Nora looks at the book of regrets first because all of those regrets are some of the main reasons she tried to take her own life. She believes that if she hadn’t made the choices she did, then her life would be so much better. I’ve given a lot of thought about what I would choose to do in Nora’s shoes. I honestly don’t think I would want to look at the book of regrets. I am curious about how big it would be though. I think the book of regrets would only tell me what I already know about my life and make me feel bad about it. I can’t go back and change any of my past decisions. All I can do now is look back at them and learn from them. Honestly, I don’t think I would advise anyone to read there book of regrets. We can’t live in the past and torure ourselves with the decisions we made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Book of Regrets was intriguing to Nora, since all of her regrets were what eventually made her decide to end her life. She was curious to hear everything she's ever wished she had done or hadn't done since the day she was born. I feel as though I would make the same decision, but I think I would probably be more hesitant to know of all my regrets every year of my life. The advice I would give to someone inclined to make this decision is to not read it, because they are who they are now for a reason, due to all the decisions they've ever made. I think that it would be safer to not read it, but that if they do, to not let the list of regrets overtake them and their outlook on life.
    - Adalyn Winters

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first book Nora notices is "The Book of Regrets". It stands out to her as it is the one that she wrote without ever writing. The book outlines everything she has ever done and regretted throughout her whole entire life. I believe her choice to look at this book first is good as the regrets Nora has is the reason she is there in the first place. I would give others advice to not only look at what went wrong but how they might've been able to fix those mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nora looks at "The Book of Regrets" first because her regrets have followed her throughout her life, and the feeling of regret became too much which is why she chose to end her life. I would be intrigued by "The Book of Regrets" if I came across it, but I would feel sick to my stomach to open it. If someone else came across their "Book of Regrets", I would tell them to look at it if it will help them have a better life. If they became too overwhelmed, I would tell them to put it down. -Sydney Moody

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book Nora notices is not green like the rest, it is gray. The book is small, large, light, heavy, and all things between. It is the book of regrets, a way for Nora to cement all the negative ways she feels. If it were me, I would most likely pick up the book of regrets first too. I have no advice to give.

    ReplyDelete